Tuesday, October 4, 2016

October IWSG, Out With the Old and in With the New, Studio December and Flu Shots

IWSG This month’s Insecure Writer’s Support Group is hosted by Beverly Stowe McClure, Megan Morgan, Viola Fury, Madeline Mora-Summonte, Angela Woodbridge, Susan Gourley and of course Alex Cavanaugh. Be sure to stop by and give these awesome hard working bloggers some love.

I’ve been off for a couple months and it’s great to be back! Lots of good stuff going on but that doesn’t mean all is good. My big concern these days is regarding my marketing and promotional platform which includes branding. Been doing it all wrong this year. 


Example Big events that needed much work and preparation but yielded miniscule returns (see my July IWSG post). So I’m returning to what got me going in the first place: a grass roots approach. I’m working with Barnes and Noble and independent bookstores up and down the coast and many are willing to give me a shot. More on this later. Selling books out of the back of my car and at the beach is proving to be very successful. And libraries are working with me with signings and carrying my books on their shelves. Moving forward: no big events for the forseeable future. 

New Platform I’m working on a new platform and brand I even have a logo. More on that on next month’s IWSG post. 


New Series I have a new Young Adult / Middle Grade SciFi series that combines science and the supernatural set at the end of this century. I’m moving forward with this at ludicrous speed and hope to finish the first complete draft during NaNoWriMo next month. No title yet but here is a one-line blurb: 


"We spent decades searching the night-time sky for habitable planets and signs of intelligent life; but they found us first."


Paying It Forward I’m giving a shout out for Studio December Awesome websites for awesome clients. From start to finish, we do it all. Our websites reinforce your branding and allow you to offer your unique services to potential customers. Our experience not only allows us to build awesome websites, but allows us to help you expand your brand into the real of social media and much, much more. Get in touch with us today to see what we can do for you! 

Flu Shots Got mine. Did you get yours? 

Question So what’s the latest and greatest with you?

Ludicrous Speed in Ludicrous Speed

 

12 comments:

  1. Stephen! I was worried you would lose your coveted spot on the list. Glad you've figured out what works and what doesn't. Ludicrous speed it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Stephen, I got my flu shot! LOL
    Marketing and promotional platforms scare the heck out of me! Fortunately, I'm not there yet! But I do plan to tap into the expertise of IWSG members like you when the time arrives.
    Good luck with your grass roots approach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I discovered that the big events were just not worth the cost. Smaller venues are better. And anyplace that has a wine tasting night is fair game, because drunk people will buy anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you found a way to sell your books and that it's working out. Nope...no flu shot...yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going to have to get a flu shot this year, though I have avoided one for several years. Not out in the public much, but this year with little grandson around, it is highly recommend all caretakers of young children have both a flu shot and the one for whooping cough. Guess that means 2 pokes in the arm, but definitely worth it.

    Christopher Paolini who wrote Eragon in his younger days did a lot of library visits and presentations, along with bookstore appearances. Be creative on how you get your product out, sounds like you are working on figuring out what that means to you for your books :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're a real go-getter on that marketing stuff. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome you've connected with Barnes and Nobles and have a good plan for what works for you. Loved hearing your thoughts on what works and doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admire your go-getting approach to promotion and glad to hear you've been making great progress. I wouldn't have the confidence to sell books at the beach! Good luck getting that draft finished during NaNo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for figuring out marketing so the rest of us don't have to!

    Just kidding! There's no way I'm going to take anyone's advice and do anything efficiently. :-(

    IWSG October

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats, Stephen. Glad you've found a new path that fills you with positive energy!! Wishing you much success.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great. Here's to success with your new series and all your adventures. Sounds like you're on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you've got the right idea going back to your grassroots approach. I wish you much success with it!! I've been there with the big events/minuscule returns and know how frustrating it is. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete